With all of the stress of every day life, it is easy to forget to take extra care of yourself.
Between working on the pediatric floor as a nurse and hanging with friends and family, I am always on the go! This winter I am trying to take better care of myself as well as others. Here are some helpful self care tips that I personally love to take advantage of during the winter months.
- Relax and detox with a bath: adding candles, bath bombs, and some relaxing music and you’re set!
- Take a moment to appreciate nature: Going on hikes with my dog are some of the best ways to unwind. While its colder in the Midwest during the winter, there are a few warmer days throughout the season that makes these hikes all the more wonderful.
- Watch your favorite movie (remember to stay in the moment and turn off your devices): “The Proposal” is one of my all-time favorites!
- Take a drive: Have you ever just gotten in the car and picked a direction to drive in? I never did until my boyfriend, Justin, took me on a drive in the countryside at sunset. It was then that I realized that I often did not take the time to appreciate the little things in life.
- De-clutter your living space: My boyfriend calls me a “Tornado” because I do tend to have a habit of leaving a room look like a whirlwind went through it. I find that I always feel so much more happy and accomplished when I have a chance to clean up. Scatter a few scented candles around and you’re set!
- Read a new book or reread one of your favorite books: My current favorite series is the Throne of Glass fantasy series. Otherwise my favorite authors are Nora Roberts, Robyn Carr, and Sarah J. Maas!
- Take a personal day to do nothing: Everyone needs a day to just lay around and relax. I would spend all day in bed reading or watching movies!
- Unplug from social media: If you haven’t taken a day off from Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, etc, I highly recommend trying it. If you can’t make it a whole day try to do something else for a few hours. You’d be amazed by how different you feel.
- Take a spontaneous trip out-of-town for the weekend: I live in St. Louis, MO. Cities that are perfect for a weekend getaway include Chicago, Nashville, Memphis, Kansas City, Lake of the Ozarks, etc. It’s so refreshing visiting a new place and play tourist for a day or two!
- Exercise while listening to your favorite playlist: Nothing gets you motivated to take care of yourself like a bomb a** playlist to workout too. Check out my Boss Girl Playlist if you need any inspiration!
- Get up and watch the sunrise: Fun fact about me…every time I stay in a new city, I make it a point to wake up and watch the sunrise. I love the feeling of being able to watch the same sun rise in so many different places.
- Splurge a little on something that you’ve been wanting for a while: Nothing screams self-care like a little shopping therapy! 🙂 Every girl deserves to splurge once in a while!
- Call a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while and catch up: Sometimes the best self-care you can give yourself is just catching up with a loved one. I sometimes don’t realize how much I miss my long distance friends until I’m knee-deep in a 4 hour phone conversation with them!
- Turn on the aromatherapy diffuser and use your favorite essential oils: I only recently started getting into aromatherapy when I started working as a nurse. Each essential oil can be used alone or mixed together to create different scents!
- Use a face or hair mask to rejuvenate yourself: I am a big natural DIY hair and face mask kind of girl! Drop a comment below if you have a favorite. I’m a sucker for anything that uses coconut oil!
- Check in with yourself: Checking in can mean all of a manner of things honestly. Some people enjoy yoga or Pilates as a way to relax and center yourself. While others prefer meditating or writing in a journal. Whatever you choose to do, you deserve sometime to take stock of what you’re thinking and feeling.
- Take a nap: This is by far my favorite tip especially when it’s wintertime. It might have something to do with the fact that my dog is really good at snuggling.
- Go to your favorite coffee shop and people watch: I love going to the local Starbucks near my house and reading a good book in one of their comfy arm chairs. When I need a break from my book, it’s fun to people watch as well.
- Eat at your favorite restaurant or cook your favorite meal at home: Going to my favorite restaurant always makes me happy. But if you choose to cook a meal at home, take your time and enjoy the process. Do it on a night where you don’t have to rush to be anywhere.
- Binge watch your favorite Netflix show: My current favorites are The Originals, NCIS, and Grey’s Anatomy. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to watch next?
There you have it, friends. These are my 20 self-care tips for this winter!
Leave a comment below if you have a particular self-care routine that you would like to share! I am always in the market for some new self-care ideas.